New York, New York – Jan. 25, 2023 – Setting the stage for its 2023 Upfront presentation, Disney Advertising hosted its third annual Tech & Data Showcase on Wednesday, Jan. 25 demonstrating the breadth and depth of Disney’s technology and data innovation. The media and entertainment powerhouse put on a multi-faceted production shot across key creative and studio locations, followed by a live Q&A moderated by ABC News Chief Business and Economics Correspondent Rebecca Jarvis at GMA Studios in Times Square.
“This day is dedicated to demonstrating how we continue to show and prove the power of Disney’s data and technology solutions that are driving real results for brands today. Our priority is to anticipate client needs and help better serve their businesses, 52 weeks a year,” said Rita Ferro, president of Disney Advertising.
During the showcase, Disney highlighted several key advancements that are dominating the industry, including:
- The Acceleration Of Cross-Screen Insights
- Rapid Adoption Of Disney’s Audience Graph And Clean Room Technology
- First-Party Measurement Of The Future
- Access Through Automation
Aaron LaBerge, Chief Technology Officer, Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution, added: “Our bold vision to build a dynamic platform, inclusive of measurement, was a strategic move for Disney. Owning our own proprietary ad engine gives us greater flexibility and control, in order to prioritize delivery behavior for ad clients. And as illustrated today, it’s working.”
During the live Q&A, Rebecca Jarvis was joined by Disney Advertising executives: Lisa Valentino, EVP, Client Solutions and Addressable Enablement, Jeremy Helfand, EVP, Head of Advertising Platforms and Dana McGraw, SVP of Audience Modeling and Data Science. The dialogue ranged from Disney’s proprietary technology, to providing choice and flexibility to clients, and building a futureproof blueprint that scales across screens like streaming.
Key Takeaways from the Conversation:
- On the importance of technology that’s built, not borrowed or bought: “When you own your own tech, you can really own your own destiny.” - Lisa Valentino
- Behind Disney’s intention of driving forward data innovation: “We were ahead of our own schedule, and [now] we’re able to offer all three things – activation, buying and measurement. We have a right-now solution, not just an idea.” - Dana McGraw
- Fueling our technology in-house: “Being able to build products once and deploy them across all Disney endpoints leads to our vision of the unified ad platform – build once, deploy everywhere. Buy once, deliver everywhere.” - Jeremy Helfand
- We’re paving the way across the marketplace: “We have nearly every category activating in a Clean Room … Disney’s blueprint for optionality means we have to be constantly innovating ahead in the marketplace.” - Lisa Valentino
- Connecting audience insights across screens: “We wanted to build our own graph our way, in-house, so that we knew what we were building, and what we were doing puts consumers first – that's number one. It’s really, ultimately, the connective tissue for everything that we do.” - Dana McGraw
- Viewer experience and business results are not mutually exclusive: “There is a direct correlation between viewer experience and return on investment … Owning your own tech stack does not mean a lack of interoperability.” - Jeremy Helfand
Disney Advertising’s annual Tech and Data Showcase sets the stage for the company’s continued commitment to delivering insights-driven and performance-proven solutions to brands and advertisers across the Disney portfolio. On May 16, 2023, Disney Advertising will host its annual Upfront event at the state-of-the-art North Javits Center in New York City.
About Disney Advertising:
Disney Advertising builds relationships between brands and audiences with the imagination and innovation that has defined The Walt Disney Company for nearly 100 years by leveraging the most advanced ad portfolio powered by technology and data to drive outcomes and impact for clients. Disney Advertising is committed to the evolution of the global media ecosystem by prioritizing Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion as a business imperative, and as a key to greater representation in storytelling.
Kelly Liyakasa: Kelly.S.Liyakasa@disney.com
Jane Ha: Jane.Ha@disney.com